Meghalaya Students in relief camps stare at board exams
Shillong: Authorities in Meghalaya are
scurrying to ensure that the scores of students displaced in
the recent ethnic clash do not miss their ensuing board exams.
According to official estimates, there are over 200
students in the relief camps at Meghalaya`s East Garo Hills
district and the neighbouring Goalpara district of Assam, who
would appear for their class X or XII board examinations
slated to begin from the first week of March.
Top officials of the Meghalaya Board of Secondary
Education (MBoSE), led by its president, are scheduled to
visit the violence-hit Mendipathar area of East Garo Hills
district on Thursday and would hold a meeting with
representatives of various schools to assess the situation.
They also plan to meet school inspectors on Friday
in a bid to chalk out plans to ensure that the students hit by
the clashes do not lose an academic year. Deputy Commissioner Pravin Bakshi said the board would first make provisions for duplicate admit cards to the
students and may consider setting up a special examination
centre for the displaced students.
An additional district magistrate of Meghalaya would
be visiting Assam`s Goalpara on Wednesday where several families have
fled in the wake of violence.
He would prepare a list of the students taking shelter
in the relief camps there, the DC said, adding a similar
survey of the students is also being carried out in Meghalaya.
About three schools were burnt down by miscreants
during the clashes between January 1 and 9 in Meghalaya.
Meanwhile, the National Commission for Protection of
Child Rights has also asked for a status report of the
children in the relief camps.
Officials said the commission would pursue aid and
assistance from the Centre for these displaced children.
Currently in East Garo Hills district, there are eight
relief camps housing 1774 people.
Around 8,000 people who have fled to Assam are yet to
return and are in relief camps there.
Meanwhile, the Red Cross has also done a survey of the
relief camps and is expected to extend aid to the displaced.
Ram Krishna Mission is also helping the relief work.
The DC said government compensation of Rs 10,000 to
each family and CGI sheets would be distributed within a
couple of days.
At least 12 people were killed and over 50,000
displaced in the ethnic clashes in both the neighbouring
districts of Assam and Meghalaya.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah