Meghalaya to have new housing scheme
Shillong: The Meghalaya government on Wednesday said it is replacing CGI housing scheme with a low cost Rs 1 lakh home for its poor aimed at reducing anomalies arising out of the distribution system and securing the poor with better homes.
The proposal in this regard is under planning state but is under consideration by the government for which line departments of the state government has given their nod, Urban Affairs Minister Ampareen Lyngdoh said.
"We are at the final stage of finalising the housing scheme for the poor to replace the old scam-filled CGI housing scheme with a Rs 1 lakh home," she said.
According to the minister, the distribution of CGI sheets to the poor as part of the government`s rural housing scheme has been blotted with allegations of anomalies from civil societies.
The low cost home scheme is expected to reduce those anomalies within the system and also address the issue of homelessness among the poor in the state, she said.
"We want to do away with the old system of distribution of CGI sheets mainly because there are a lot of loopholes which the civil society organisation had detected," she said.
The lone lady legislator and minister in the 60-member House said the government is also finalising on the designs of the low cost homes financial institutions and builders are roped in.
The scheme is set to be implemented in the 13th/14th financial year provided that all clearance for the project is obtained.
An anti-graft organisation, the Meghalaya Right to Information Movement had implicated the state government and the supplier of the Corrugated Galvanised Iron (CGI) sheets after it detected anomalies, using information available under RTI.
The MRTIM said more than 52 per cent of the total Rs 19,34,81,221 spent in the purchase of CGI sheets for the poor during 2003-2006 were siphoned off.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- JNU row: Congress VP meets protesting students; ABVP raises black flags, shout "Rahul Gandhi Go Back"
- JNU protest: Kejriwal hits out at PM Modi, says targetting innocents will prove costly to him