Meghalaya to have separate women police stations
Shillong: Meghalaya government will set up
separate women police stations to deal exclusively with crimes
against women, an official release said on Thursday.
The existing women police cells functioning in seven
district headquarters will be upgraded to police stations with
immediate effect and these will work under jurisdiction of the
respective SP, it said.
The Crime Against Women (CAW) cell in the CID will
monitor the work of the women police stations while respective
district SPs will send regular monthly reports to the CID.
Cases would be initially registered with the local
police station and after preliminary procedures, the cases
would be transferred to the women police stations for
investigation and prosecution, the release said.
These police stations can investigate cases under
categories of rape, molestation, abduction, eve-teasing,
murder for dowry by burning or other means, attempt to murder
for dowry, cruelty by husband/relatives, abetment to suicide
and then prosecute, it said.
The women police stations will also investigate cases
under the Immoral Traffic Prevention Act, indecent
representation of women (as per provisions of Women
Prohibition Act) and cases of missing children.
There have been 200 rape and 47 attempted rape cases
between 2001-2008 in Meghalaya, which is ruled by matrilineal
society. The crimegraph against women spurted with 274
incidents in 2007, the release added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- SHOCKING: When Narsingh Yadav was caught cheating in a Maharashtra police exam!
- Delhi again failed her Nirbhaya, says DCW chief as 14-year-old Dalit rape victim dies
- Check out five stunning Instagram photos of ‘Mohenjo Daro’ beauty Pooja Hegde
- Xiaomi Mi Note 2 likely to be launched today
- Kabir Khan shares pic of stunning location where Salman Khan’s ‘Tubelight’ shoot will begin