Meghalaya to have separate women police stations
Shillong: Meghalaya government will set up
separate women police stations to deal exclusively with crimes
against women, an official release said on Thursday.
The existing women police cells functioning in seven
district headquarters will be upgraded to police stations with
immediate effect and these will work under jurisdiction of the
respective SP, it said.
The Crime Against Women (CAW) cell in the CID will
monitor the work of the women police stations while respective
district SPs will send regular monthly reports to the CID.
Cases would be initially registered with the local
police station and after preliminary procedures, the cases
would be transferred to the women police stations for
investigation and prosecution, the release said.
These police stations can investigate cases under
categories of rape, molestation, abduction, eve-teasing,
murder for dowry by burning or other means, attempt to murder
for dowry, cruelty by husband/relatives, abetment to suicide
and then prosecute, it said.
The women police stations will also investigate cases
under the Immoral Traffic Prevention Act, indecent
representation of women (as per provisions of Women
Prohibition Act) and cases of missing children.
There have been 200 rape and 47 attempted rape cases
between 2001-2008 in Meghalaya, which is ruled by matrilineal
society. The crimegraph against women spurted with 274
incidents in 2007, the release added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown