Meghalaya to reconstitute All Party Committee
Shillong: Meghalaya government on Tuesday said it would reconstitute an All Party Committee to negotiate with the Centre on re-transfer of `excess land` from the defense establishments to the civil authorities for developmental purposes in the state.
Chief Minister Mukul Sangma said the committee would have to be reconstituted after one of its members Manas Chaudhury lost the February 23 elections earlier this year.
Sangma who headed the committee in the previous government had three ministers with one representative from the political parties as members of the committee besides representatives from the local military authorities and senior government officials as well.
"Yes, we will re-constitute the committee," Mukul assured the House while replying to supplementary questions put up by UDP legislator Paul Lyngdoh whether the government is committed to sending an all party committee to the Centre with regards to re-transferring of unused and excess lands under defense establishments.
According to the chief minister, the previous committee had two sittings last year.
As an outcome of the pursuance of the committee, Revenue Minister R C Laloo said 32 acres acres of land for expansion of Shillong Airport in Ri-Bhoi district and 0.339 acres for widening of national highway 44 were transferred to the civil authorities in exchange for an equivalent area.
Laloo also said the government had constituted another committee of the government officials headed by the commissioner and secretary political department and representatives from the local military authorities.
He said, as per the data available with the government, the area with the defense establishment in and around Shillong city is 2096.12 acres.
To this, the former student leader demanded that `excess land` under defense establishments should be retransferred to the local civil authorities for developmental purposes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez