Meghalaya top cop in police radar for floating militant outfit
Shillong: Meghalaya Police are on the look out for one of its officers who has allegedly floated a new militant which is carrying out rampant extortion in the state.
Deputy superintendent of police Champion Sangma has been ‘absenting from office’ since over an year now, and police suspect he is the ‘commander-in-chief’ of the nascent Garo National Liberation Army, blamed for serving extortion demands ranging from Rs 5 lakh to Rs 1 crore to businessmen, coal merchants and petrol depot owners, a top police officer said.
“His salary has been stopped. We are trying to trace the missing officer,” he said, adding that an inquiry is on to ascertain his links with the group.
Champion was posted as Assistant Commandant of 2nd Meghalaya Police Battalion at Goeragre in West Garo Hills district, after which he went ‘missing’.
Sohan Shira, a deserter of the Achik National Volunteer Council (ANVC), a rebel group which is under ceasefire and currently engaged in talks with the government, is said to be the second man behind GNLA.
The GNLA, active in East Garo Hills and South Garo Hills districts of the state, has been on an extortion spree over the last few weeks.
Liberation Achik Elite Force (LAEF), another rebel group operating in Garo hills region of the state, was floated by another deserting policeman, Peter Marak, with the help of the NSCN(IM). Marak was later killed in an encounter in August, 2007.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack