Meghalaya: Two killed in landslide, road traffic a
Shillong: Two members of a family were killed in Ri-Bhoi district of Meghalaya when their house was buried in a landslide which took place early Thursday morning even as traffic along the NH 40 connecting Meghalaya with the rest of the country have been closed, official sources said.
"They are believed to be buried in the debris following the landslide which took place early today at 19th mile, District Superintendent of Police Claudia Lyngwa told a news agency.
One woman was fished out dead while officials are trying to dig out the body of another woman, the SP said.
A coal laden truck which was travelling was also completely damaged when the debris pushed it away from the road even as its driver and a handyman miraculously managed to escape unhurt, Lyngwa said.
Torrential rain lashed the area since yesterday and thousands of vehicles making their way into Meghalaya and out of Meghalaya have also been stranded due to the landslide, officials said.
Last evening, traffic was cut for more than two hours in the area due to another landslide but no casualty was reported, officials informed.
District authorities have intensified clearing the debris on the NH 40 to allow flow of traffic.
Police have also been deployed in the area to ease the traffic congestion and bring the situation under control, the officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins