Meghalaya: Two killed in landslide, road traffic a
Shillong: Two members of a family were killed in Ri-Bhoi district of Meghalaya when their house was buried in a landslide which took place early Thursday morning even as traffic along the NH 40 connecting Meghalaya with the rest of the country have been closed, official sources said.
"They are believed to be buried in the debris following the landslide which took place early today at 19th mile, District Superintendent of Police Claudia Lyngwa told a news agency.
One woman was fished out dead while officials are trying to dig out the body of another woman, the SP said.
A coal laden truck which was travelling was also completely damaged when the debris pushed it away from the road even as its driver and a handyman miraculously managed to escape unhurt, Lyngwa said.
Torrential rain lashed the area since yesterday and thousands of vehicles making their way into Meghalaya and out of Meghalaya have also been stranded due to the landslide, officials said.
Last evening, traffic was cut for more than two hours in the area due to another landslide but no casualty was reported, officials informed.
District authorities have intensified clearing the debris on the NH 40 to allow flow of traffic.
Police have also been deployed in the area to ease the traffic congestion and bring the situation under control, the officials said.
- Yuvraj Singh drops big hint about film on his life – Here's what the star batsman said...
- Indian Premier League 9: After struggling for years, Delhi Daredevils find rhythm under Rahul Dravid's watchful eyes
- WATCH: SHOCKING! Kanhaiya Kumar's supporters mercilessly beat up man for showing black flag
- WATCH: Fan girl proposes Zaheer Khan with 'I Love You' message during live match
- Your depressed better-half can make you sad too!