Meghalaya violence: Decision to relax curfew recalled
Shillong: A fresh clash between Rabhas
and Garos on Tuesday morning forced the administration to revoke its
decision to relax curfew in ethnic violence-hit Resubelpara
sub-division of Meghalaya.
East Garo Hills Deputy Commissioner Pravin Bakshi said
the administration had decided to relax curfew for three hours
from noon, but it was revoked after a fresh confrontation at
Bakrakura in Mendipathar.
He said some Rabha refugees had tried to move to their
village at Bakrakura when a Garo group confronted them,
leading to a confrontation.
Police personnel had to rush there to defuse the
Tension prevailed in some pockets due to some rumours
doing the rounds. "Unconfirmed reports of incidents on Assam
side were reaching here, resulting in tension on the Meghalaya
side," Bakshi said.
Reports of anti-Rabha posters being put up were also
coming from Tura, the district headquarter town of
neighbouring West Garo Hills district.
Meanwhile, Meghalaya DGP SB Kakati and Principal
Secretary (Home) CD Kynjing were huddled in a meeting with
their Assam counterparts and a Home Ministry team led by joint
secretary Shambhu Singh in Guwahati.
A decision on joint patrolling by police personnel of
both the states is expected to be taken at the meeting which
will review the prevailing situation and steps taken to
control the violence.
At least nine people have been killed and around
50,000 displaced in the ethnic violence than began on January
Altogether 103 people have been arrested and 25 cases
of attempted arson and rioting registered so far in the
ethnic-violence-hit areas of Meghalaya, DGP SB Kakati said.
Around 26 villages have been affected in Meghalaya and
some 1,500 houses burnt.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in