Meghalaya violence: Decision to relax curfew recalled
A fresh clash between Rabhas and Garos on Tuesday morning forced the administration to revoke its decision to relax curfew in ethnic violence-hit Resubelpara sub-division of Meghalaya.
Shillong: A fresh clash between Rabhas
and Garos on Tuesday morning forced the administration to revoke its
decision to relax curfew in ethnic violence-hit Resubelpara
sub-division of Meghalaya.
East Garo Hills Deputy Commissioner Pravin Bakshi said
the administration had decided to relax curfew for three hours
from noon, but it was revoked after a fresh confrontation at
Bakrakura in Mendipathar.
He said some Rabha refugees had tried to move to their
village at Bakrakura when a Garo group confronted them,
leading to a confrontation.
Police personnel had to rush there to defuse the
Tension prevailed in some pockets due to some rumours
doing the rounds. "Unconfirmed reports of incidents on Assam
side were reaching here, resulting in tension on the Meghalaya
side," Bakshi said.
Reports of anti-Rabha posters being put up were also
coming from Tura, the district headquarter town of
neighbouring West Garo Hills district.
Meanwhile, Meghalaya DGP SB Kakati and Principal
Secretary (Home) CD Kynjing were huddled in a meeting with
their Assam counterparts and a Home Ministry team led by joint
secretary Shambhu Singh in Guwahati.
A decision on joint patrolling by police personnel of
both the states is expected to be taken at the meeting which
will review the prevailing situation and steps taken to
control the violence.
At least nine people have been killed and around
50,000 displaced in the ethnic violence than began on January
Altogether 103 people have been arrested and 25 cases
of attempted arson and rioting registered so far in the
ethnic-violence-hit areas of Meghalaya, DGP SB Kakati said.
Around 26 villages have been affected in Meghalaya and
some 1,500 houses burnt.