Militancy, atrocity against women major challenges: DGP
Shillong: Senior IPS officer Kulbir Kishan who took over as Meghalaya`s Director General of Police today said tackling militancy and law and order in Garo Hills region and dealing with rising crimes against women are major challenges.
"Curbing militancy and crime against women are major challenges of the police," a 1976 batch Assam-Meghalaya IPS officer Kishan told reporters.
"The police have faced challenges in the past and came out successful. I am sure we will overcome all challenges," he said.
Acknowledging that the government has a lot of expectation especially ahead of the poll which is due within four months, an optimistic Kishan said, "We will produce good results."
Expressing concern on the militant activities in the five western Garo Hills districts of the state, Kishan warned that militants should not interfere in the electioneering process.
"We cannot solve differences with a gun. They should shun violence and come for talks," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- 'Mirzya': Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra thanks Salman Khan, sends best wishes for 'Sultan'
- Zardari urges US to support sale of F-16 jets to Pakistan
- Gulbarga ragging case: 3 arrested, 2 sent to 14-day judicial custody
- After Sachin Tendulkar, now 'Bharat Ratna' demand for Virat Kohli
- So sweet! Genelia Deshmukh gushes over hubby Riteish Deshmukh's handsome get-up – View pic