Militancy, atrocity against women major challenges: DGP
Shillong: Senior IPS officer Kulbir Kishan who took over as Meghalaya`s Director General of Police today said tackling militancy and law and order in Garo Hills region and dealing with rising crimes against women are major challenges.
"Curbing militancy and crime against women are major challenges of the police," a 1976 batch Assam-Meghalaya IPS officer Kishan told reporters.
"The police have faced challenges in the past and came out successful. I am sure we will overcome all challenges," he said.
Acknowledging that the government has a lot of expectation especially ahead of the poll which is due within four months, an optimistic Kishan said, "We will produce good results."
Expressing concern on the militant activities in the five western Garo Hills districts of the state, Kishan warned that militants should not interfere in the electioneering process.
"We cannot solve differences with a gun. They should shun violence and come for talks," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...