Militant leader escapes from police station
Imphal: A top militant leader has escaped from
a police station in Imphal East district of Manipur by
allegedly digging a tunnel under the floor which was not in a
good condition, official sources said on Wednesday.
The leader who escaped from Porompat police station
yesterday was identified as the self-styled
`commander-in-chief` of banned Kangleipak Communist
Party-Mobile Task Force (KCP-MTF) Sunil Meitei, the sources
Seven police personnel, including officer in charge of the
police station Gitchandra Singh have been suspended for
negligence of duty, the sources said.
Director General of Police (DGP) Manipur Y Joykumar
announced a cash reward of Rs 1 lakh for anyone who could
give information that would lead to the rearrest of the
Meitei who was involved in several cases of extortion,
killings and attacks on security personnel was arrested from
Bangalore by Delhi police personnel on June 29 last year and
brought to Imphal with security escort.
The sources said all police stations particularly in four
valley districts of Imphal East, Imphal West, Bishenpur and
Thoubal have been alerted to step up patrolling.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report