Militant threat to Congress ministers, MLAs
Shillong: At least six MLAs of the ruling
Congress in Meghalaya have received an sms from a militant
outfit warning them against operations against them.
"Are you betraying the Garos? Retreat or face the
consequences ? GNLA," the sms, sent from a Bangladesh number
Among those who received the sms were Rural
Development Minister FW Momin, Civil Defence Minister
Augustine Marak and four MLAs of the Garo community.
East Garo Hills Deputy Commissioner Pravin Bakshi said that FW Momin, who is currently in New Delhi, called him
up to inform about the sms threat.
The police have been instructed to take action, he
Two additional PSOs have been deployed at Momin`s
residence, while more securitymen were expected to be given to
him once he returned from Delhi, the police said.
A senior police official said the GNLA, a nascent
militant group floated by a dismissed superintendent of
Meghalaya Police Champion Sangma, was under pressure after
stepped-up operations and surrender of twenty rebels last
The GNLA is the most active militant group in
Meghalaya at present and has been blamed for extortion in the
Garo hills belt.
On April 6, the group had gunned down five coal
labourers in South Garo Hills district. A few days ago, there
were reports of firing on trucks by the militants in the coal
belt areas of West Khasi Hills district.
The outfit, claiming to be fighting for an independent
Garoland, has also carried out kidnappings over the last
couple of months and slapped extortion demands on traders.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing