Militants abduct village leader in Manipur
Imphal: Suspected Kuki militants have abducted a Naga villager leader from Saikul area in Senapati district of Manipur, police said on Monday.
Mathotmi Chahong, Secretary of Island Tangkhul village, was abducted from his house by suspected armed Kuki militants on February 7 last.
Various social organisations including United Naga Council have urged the abductors to release Chahong safely and urgently.
No individual or group has claimed responsibility.
More than 1000 lives had been lost during ethnic clashes between the Nagas and the Kukis in early 1990s.
The clashes broke out when both the Nagas and the Kukis wanted to drive out each other from their strongholds in the state, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- China must recognise South China Sea ruling: Philippines
- New Zealand to keep trialling day-night first-class cricket
- Delhi sex racket busted: Girls confined in almirahs; forced to sleep with clients in cubicles
- SMASH HIT: Akshay Kumar's 'Rustom' is still ruling the Box Office! – Details inside
- Yogeshwar Dutt's Bronze to be upgraded to Silver: Virender Sehwag expresses excitement with HILARIOUS tweet