Militants attack Manipur government official`s residence
Imphal: Militants attacked the house of a Manipur government official in Imphal East district by hurling a powerful grenade, the police said on Monday.
The ultras lobbed the explosive at the residence of state forest department ranger Konsam Achouba at interior Pourabi Mayai Leikai village yesterday but the grenade failed to explode.
Achouba and his family members were present at the time of the incident, they said, adding that no individual or group has claimed responsibility for the attack.
Family members of the official said a militant outfit had demanded a huge sum of money from the family about a month ago but they have not contacted the family after that.
In another incident, commandos attached to Thoubal district police in interior Manipur, arrested two insurgents of the banned People`s Revolutionary Party of Kangleipak-Progressive (PREPAK-P) identified as sisters Ningombam Pramodini and Ningthoujam Manimacha from Sekmaijin area in Thoubal district yesterday.
A 9mm pistol along with some rounds of ammunition and `letters demanding money from the public` were allegedly recovered from the possession of the two.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- Those killed in Kashmir hadn't gone to buy milk and toffee, says Mehbooba Mufti
- Renault Kwid AMT ready in 800cc and 1.0-litre guise
- More typhoons expected in China next month
- Raghuram Rajan, Arvind Subramanian 'foisted' on India by Americans: Swamy
- Former French President Nicolas Sarkozy terms burkini as 'provocation' that supports radical Islam