Militants attack MPCC working president
Shillong: Former deputy chief minister and working president of the Meghalaya Pradesh Congress Committee (MPCC) Deborah Marak, had a narrow escape when heavily armed tribal Garo rebels fired in the air at a public meeting in her constituency in Meghalaya`s East Garo Hills district, police said on Sunday.
"Heavily armed militants suspected to be those of the break-away-faction of the Achik National Volunteer Council (ANVC) came to the public function at a village under Williamnagar area, had an altercation with Marak and fired several rounds in the air last evening," district administrator Vijay Mantri told a news agency.
He said, the reason behind their attack is yet to be ascertained.
The incident took place at around 4:30 PM last evening when Marak was distributing prizes for a football tournament involving several teams from the constituency, police said.
Marak who did not take security cover, sustained injuries in her legs and knees while fleeing from the area.
The breakaway faction of the militant organisation had threatened legislators in the Garo Hills region of dire consequences if they hold public meeting without their permission.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured