Militants finally free Telecom professional
Aizawl: A Telecom professional from Kolkata who was abducted by militants in November 2013 has been finally freed in Mizoram, police said on Thursday.
Deep Mondal was released earlier this week and he has returned to Kolkata, a Mizoram Police official told the media here.
Mandal, an employee of the Noida-based Telecom Network Solutions, was kidnapped along with two Mizo drivers when they went to Mamit district in the state on November 23 over the installation of a mobile telephone tower.
The drivers were let off by the guerrillas in January but Mondal was reportedly taken away to the Chittagong region in Bangladesh.
Police suspect the kidnapping was the work of the outlawed National Liberation Front of Tripura, a Tripura-based outfit that uses Mizoram as a corridor to go to Bangladesh.
Severe ethnic trouble erupted in January in western Mizoram over the abduction. The situation eased after the release of the two Mizo drivers.
Tripura and Mizoram share porous borders with Bangladesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic
- British EU vote unnerves world leaders and markets
- Copa America final: Chile beat Argentina 4-2 to win title after Lionel Messi misses penalty kick
- Nargis Fakhri looks smoking hot in this outfit with plunging neckline – See Pics
- BJP leader Yashwant Sinha criticises Modi government on NSG fiasco