Militants finally free Telecom professional
Aizawl: A Telecom professional from Kolkata who was abducted by militants in November 2013 has been finally freed in Mizoram, police said on Thursday.
Deep Mondal was released earlier this week and he has returned to Kolkata, a Mizoram Police official told the media here.
Mandal, an employee of the Noida-based Telecom Network Solutions, was kidnapped along with two Mizo drivers when they went to Mamit district in the state on November 23 over the installation of a mobile telephone tower.
The drivers were let off by the guerrillas in January but Mondal was reportedly taken away to the Chittagong region in Bangladesh.
Police suspect the kidnapping was the work of the outlawed National Liberation Front of Tripura, a Tripura-based outfit that uses Mizoram as a corridor to go to Bangladesh.
Severe ethnic trouble erupted in January in western Mizoram over the abduction. The situation eased after the release of the two Mizo drivers.
Tripura and Mizoram share porous borders with Bangladesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra
- Delhi court restrains release of controversial movie 'Mohalla Assi'
- Camera Day: Celebrate the art of photography and go click-happy!