Militants finally free Telecom professional
Aizawl: A Telecom professional from Kolkata who was abducted by militants in November 2013 has been finally freed in Mizoram, police said on Thursday.
Deep Mondal was released earlier this week and he has returned to Kolkata, a Mizoram Police official told the media here.
Mandal, an employee of the Noida-based Telecom Network Solutions, was kidnapped along with two Mizo drivers when they went to Mamit district in the state on November 23 over the installation of a mobile telephone tower.
The drivers were let off by the guerrillas in January but Mondal was reportedly taken away to the Chittagong region in Bangladesh.
Police suspect the kidnapping was the work of the outlawed National Liberation Front of Tripura, a Tripura-based outfit that uses Mizoram as a corridor to go to Bangladesh.
Severe ethnic trouble erupted in January in western Mizoram over the abduction. The situation eased after the release of the two Mizo drivers.
Tripura and Mizoram share porous borders with Bangladesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre