Militants finally free Telecom professional
Aizawl: A Telecom professional from Kolkata who was abducted by militants in November 2013 has been finally freed in Mizoram, police said on Thursday.
Deep Mondal was released earlier this week and he has returned to Kolkata, a Mizoram Police official told the media here.
Mandal, an employee of the Noida-based Telecom Network Solutions, was kidnapped along with two Mizo drivers when they went to Mamit district in the state on November 23 over the installation of a mobile telephone tower.
The drivers were let off by the guerrillas in January but Mondal was reportedly taken away to the Chittagong region in Bangladesh.
Police suspect the kidnapping was the work of the outlawed National Liberation Front of Tripura, a Tripura-based outfit that uses Mizoram as a corridor to go to Bangladesh.
Severe ethnic trouble erupted in January in western Mizoram over the abduction. The situation eased after the release of the two Mizo drivers.
Tripura and Mizoram share porous borders with Bangladesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- MCA lifts ban on Shah Rukh Khan from visting Wankhede staduim
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown