Militants fire on police station in Shillong
Shillong: Suspected militants walked up to a police station in the heart of the city and fired twice with firearms believed to be AK47s, leaving a child injured.
The group of four suspected militants fired a burst at the Lumdiengjri Police Station at around 10 pm, then fired a second time when policemen inside peered out leading them to duck for cover, police sources said.
The gunmen left on foot after the firing, they said.
When the policemen emerged, they found 20 spent AK47 shells at the spot, the sources said.
The firing injured the minor son of a police sub-inspector when a stray bullet went into the police quarters adjacent to the police station, the walls of which were left pockmarked in the firing, they said.
A high-level meeting was convened by Superintendent of Police A R Mawthoh this morning.
The involvement of the proscribed Hynniewtrep National Liberation Army, was not ruled out by the police.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- I was shivering while interviewing Nirbhaya's friend, says Ramnath Goenka awardee Sudhir Chaudhary
- If India was intolerant, then Kiran Rao wouldn't have married Aamir Khan: Baba Ramdev
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed