Militants fire on police station in Shillong
Shillong: Suspected militants walked up to a police station in the heart of the city and fired twice with firearms believed to be AK47s, leaving a child injured.
The group of four suspected militants fired a burst at the Lumdiengjri Police Station at around 10 pm, then fired a second time when policemen inside peered out leading them to duck for cover, police sources said.
The gunmen left on foot after the firing, they said.
When the policemen emerged, they found 20 spent AK47 shells at the spot, the sources said.
The firing injured the minor son of a police sub-inspector when a stray bullet went into the police quarters adjacent to the police station, the walls of which were left pockmarked in the firing, they said.
A high-level meeting was convened by Superintendent of Police A R Mawthoh this morning.
The involvement of the proscribed Hynniewtrep National Liberation Army, was not ruled out by the police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information