Militants fire on police station in Shillong
Shillong: Suspected militants walked up to a police station in the heart of the city and fired twice with firearms believed to be AK47s, leaving a child injured.
The group of four suspected militants fired a burst at the Lumdiengjri Police Station at around 10 pm, then fired a second time when policemen inside peered out leading them to duck for cover, police sources said.
The gunmen left on foot after the firing, they said.
When the policemen emerged, they found 20 spent AK47 shells at the spot, the sources said.
The firing injured the minor son of a police sub-inspector when a stray bullet went into the police quarters adjacent to the police station, the walls of which were left pockmarked in the firing, they said.
A high-level meeting was convened by Superintendent of Police A R Mawthoh this morning.
The involvement of the proscribed Hynniewtrep National Liberation Army, was not ruled out by the police.
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part II
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part III
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part IV
- Dr. Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of time management
- Hundreds of protesters storm Baghdad’s Green Zone, break into Parliament
- Uttarakhand forest fire LIVE: 1500 villages under threat, govt issues alert
- Vodafone appoints six investment banks for $3billion India IPO
- China hints at retaliation against US anti-dumping probe
- In home turf in Bihar, Kanhaiya Kumar all praise for Nitish Kumar, Lalu Yadav; slams Modi govt