Militants fire on police station in Shillong
Shillong: Suspected militants walked up to a police station in the heart of the city and fired twice with firearms believed to be AK47s, leaving a child injured.
The group of four suspected militants fired a burst at the Lumdiengjri Police Station at around 10 pm, then fired a second time when policemen inside peered out leading them to duck for cover, police sources said.
The gunmen left on foot after the firing, they said.
When the policemen emerged, they found 20 spent AK47 shells at the spot, the sources said.
The firing injured the minor son of a police sub-inspector when a stray bullet went into the police quarters adjacent to the police station, the walls of which were left pockmarked in the firing, they said.
A high-level meeting was convened by Superintendent of Police A R Mawthoh this morning.
The involvement of the proscribed Hynniewtrep National Liberation Army, was not ruled out by the police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend