Militants kill two BSF jawans in Meghalaya
Shillong: Militants on Friday shot dead two BSF personnel at a remote border outpost along Indo-Bangladesh border in Meghalaya`s South West Khasi Hills district.
Heavily-armed militants raided Ketakona Border Outpost in Bagli area, nearly 140 km from here in Borsora police station at around 10:30 AM, killing two border personnel on the spot, the police said.
The attack came close on the heels of militants attacking a police vehicle in neighbouring South Garo Hills district on Tuesday killing five policemen.
Meanwhile, the BSF, which is manning the Indo-Bangladesh border in the state, stated that a huge arms consignment was seized last night in South Garo Hills.
A 9 mm carbine machine, one 7.65 mm Italian-make Barreta pistol, one China-make 7.65 mm pistol, all with ammunition, wireless set with signal booster, two mobile phones, sports shoes and other items were seized from the Angratoli reserve forest in the district, a BSF spokesperson said.
While no one was arrested in last night`s midnight operation, the BSF said the arms were meant for tribal militants operating in the state.
Meghalaya shares a 443-km border with Bangladesh, part of which is still unfenced and hence porous coupled with bad terrain areas which are difficult to man.
These unfenced pockets are the prime areas for infiltrators in the form of illegal immigrants, smugglers and many a times militants.
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- VVIP chopper scam: Ex-IAF chief SP Tyagi had admitted to meeting middleman Haschke
- F-16 fighter jets sold to Pakistan could be used against India: US lawmakers
- Fee hike: Schools will not budge with dharnas, submit a written complaint, Manish Sisodia tells parents
- Know what Shah Rukh Khan feels about PM Narendra Modi’s ‘Make In India’ initiative
- Know how Karan Johar entertains ‘India's Got Talent’ co-judge Malaika Arora Khan