Militants kill two BSF jawans in Meghalaya
Shillong: Militants on Friday shot dead two BSF personnel at a remote border outpost along Indo-Bangladesh border in Meghalaya`s South West Khasi Hills district.
Heavily-armed militants raided Ketakona Border Outpost in Bagli area, nearly 140 km from here in Borsora police station at around 10:30 AM, killing two border personnel on the spot, the police said.
The attack came close on the heels of militants attacking a police vehicle in neighbouring South Garo Hills district on Tuesday killing five policemen.
Meanwhile, the BSF, which is manning the Indo-Bangladesh border in the state, stated that a huge arms consignment was seized last night in South Garo Hills.
A 9 mm carbine machine, one 7.65 mm Italian-make Barreta pistol, one China-make 7.65 mm pistol, all with ammunition, wireless set with signal booster, two mobile phones, sports shoes and other items were seized from the Angratoli reserve forest in the district, a BSF spokesperson said.
While no one was arrested in last night`s midnight operation, the BSF said the arms were meant for tribal militants operating in the state.
Meghalaya shares a 443-km border with Bangladesh, part of which is still unfenced and hence porous coupled with bad terrain areas which are difficult to man.
These unfenced pockets are the prime areas for infiltrators in the form of illegal immigrants, smugglers and many a times militants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics