Militants lob grenade at a govt official`s house
Imphal: Militants exploded a powerful grenade at the home of a senior Manipur government official in Imphal east district late last night.
The grenade exploded in the housing complex of deputy director of agriculture department, Ph. Rajendro at Kongpal area near here, at around 11 PM, officials said on Monday.
The official and his family members were present at the time of the explosion, but none was injured, they said.
A caller who identified himself as a spokesperson of militant outfit, Maoist Communist Party (Manipur), claimed responsibility for the blast.
Family sources said some militant outfits had demanded a huge sum of money from the official, but declined to name the outfit.
Militants also threw a powerful grenade at a pharmacy near the district hospital at Porompat area in the same district last evening, but it did not explode and was defused, the sources said.
A militant outfit had demanded Rs.1.20 lakh from each pharmacy located near the hospital, they said.
Several social organisations in separate statements urged the authorities to take action against the militants who were extorting money from people and organisations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- Assocham for penalty waiver in initial phase of GST rollout
- Roberto Martinez announced Thierry Henry as assistant coach for Belgium
- Olympic Dreams: Rickshaw driver buys shooter daughter rifle worth 5 lakh that was saved for her wedding
- Sonam Kapoor to campaign against malnutrition
- Want no cookie cutter beauty queen: Lara Dutta