Militants lob grenade at a govt official`s house
Imphal: Militants exploded a powerful grenade at the home of a senior Manipur government official in Imphal east district late last night.
The grenade exploded in the housing complex of deputy director of agriculture department, Ph. Rajendro at Kongpal area near here, at around 11 PM, officials said on Monday.
The official and his family members were present at the time of the explosion, but none was injured, they said.
A caller who identified himself as a spokesperson of militant outfit, Maoist Communist Party (Manipur), claimed responsibility for the blast.
Family sources said some militant outfits had demanded a huge sum of money from the official, but declined to name the outfit.
Militants also threw a powerful grenade at a pharmacy near the district hospital at Porompat area in the same district last evening, but it did not explode and was defused, the sources said.
A militant outfit had demanded Rs.1.20 lakh from each pharmacy located near the hospital, they said.
Several social organisations in separate statements urged the authorities to take action against the militants who were extorting money from people and organisations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Puducherry: Narayanasamy to meet Lt Gov Kiran Bedi today, stake claim to form govt
- Armed squad kills 11 people in Venezuela: Official
- Khalistan terror camp running in Canada to attack Punjab; Justin Trudeau govt alerted
- Barack Obama could be Hillary's secret weapon in rallying Democratic support: Report
- Man arrested for trying to sell stolen car on e-commerce site