Militants thrashed by villagers for money extortio
Imphal: Four Kuki militants were thrashed by
villagers for trying to extort money from people in an
interior village in Imphal East district of Manipur, official
Sources said four militants of Kuki Liberation Army (KLA)
cane to extort money from villagers of Itham Moirang Purel but
villagers gathered and beat them up.
The militants were identified as Haoupu (24), Manthang
(17) and Sanboi (35), sources said adding they came and
threatened the villagers if their demand money was not paid.
Official sources said KLA was a militant outfit which had
signed an agreement with the government and security personnel
some years ago not to resort to any violent activities or to
demand money from the public or government agencies as they
had agreed to hold peace talks with the government.
The Kuki militants of different organisations including
KLA were being kept at government-run `designated camp` before
starting formal peace talks with the government.
Official sources said the main demand of Kuki militants
was to break of 22, 327 sq km Manipur and form smaller states
within Indian Constitution along the ethnic lines.
The Border Security Personnel, who were posted nearby
rescued the four badly injured militants from the angry
villagers and handed over them to the police at the nearby
Lamlai police station,sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report