Militants thrashed by villagers for money extortio
Imphal: Four Kuki militants were thrashed by
villagers for trying to extort money from people in an
interior village in Imphal East district of Manipur, official
Sources said four militants of Kuki Liberation Army (KLA)
cane to extort money from villagers of Itham Moirang Purel but
villagers gathered and beat them up.
The militants were identified as Haoupu (24), Manthang
(17) and Sanboi (35), sources said adding they came and
threatened the villagers if their demand money was not paid.
Official sources said KLA was a militant outfit which had
signed an agreement with the government and security personnel
some years ago not to resort to any violent activities or to
demand money from the public or government agencies as they
had agreed to hold peace talks with the government.
The Kuki militants of different organisations including
KLA were being kept at government-run `designated camp` before
starting formal peace talks with the government.
Official sources said the main demand of Kuki militants
was to break of 22, 327 sq km Manipur and form smaller states
within Indian Constitution along the ethnic lines.
The Border Security Personnel, who were posted nearby
rescued the four badly injured militants from the angry
villagers and handed over them to the police at the nearby
Lamlai police station,sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH HIGHLIGHTS: Real Madrid vs Atletico Madrid - UEFA Champions League final
- Daniel Craig 'exhausted' from playing James Bond
- Narendra Modi government failed to create jobs, aid agriculture: Congress
- Daniel Craig 'exhausted' from playing James Bond says Judi Dench
- Give education, equality to girl child, urges Amitabh Bachchan