Mining of limestone banned in WJH district of Megh
Shillong: A ban order has been issued on mining of limestone for causing damage to environment along Indo-Bangladesh border in West Jaintia Hills district of Meghalaya, official said here on Monday.
The ban order was issued by District Magistrate PS Dkhar on Saturday last as large-scale mining of limestone had gone beyond all permissible limits in the area for export to Bangladesh, the sources said.
Limestone is extracted from Nongtalang area for export to Bangladesh through Dawki port in East Khasi Hills district which resulted to pollution of at least 17 drinking water sources in Banan, Amtapoh and Nongtalang villages in the district, Dkhar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa