Ministry to focus on better air, road connectivity in NE
Tezpur: The Ministry for Development of North Eastern Region has submitted a proposal to the Centre for laying extra emphasis on promoting safe connectivity by air and surface in the region.
A proposal for daily air services from Tezpur and Lilabari in North Lakhimpur in Assam to the rest of the country was submitted to the Centre for their urgent disposal, Union Minister for Development of North Eastern Region Paban Singh Ghatowar said today.
He said a number of greenfield airports will also be developed to provide facility of air connectivity in a number of places of importance in neighbouring Arunachal Pradesh.
Meanwhile, a four-lane road will be connected to all places of the North-East during the current Five-Year Plan period, Ghatowar said.
The third bridge over river Brahmaputra will come up at Bogibeel connecting Dibrugarh and North Lakhimpur districts in upper Assam in the next two years for which Rs 600 crore has been allocated by the Centre, the minister said.
The ministry has also given special emphasis on a permanent solution to the problems of soil erosion and flood in the Brahmaputra Valley, where nearly 10 lakh people were seriously affected during the last waves of floods in Assam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter