Ministry to focus on better air, road connectivity in NE
Tezpur: The Ministry for Development of North Eastern Region has submitted a proposal to the Centre for laying extra emphasis on promoting safe connectivity by air and surface in the region.
A proposal for daily air services from Tezpur and Lilabari in North Lakhimpur in Assam to the rest of the country was submitted to the Centre for their urgent disposal, Union Minister for Development of North Eastern Region Paban Singh Ghatowar said today.
He said a number of greenfield airports will also be developed to provide facility of air connectivity in a number of places of importance in neighbouring Arunachal Pradesh.
Meanwhile, a four-lane road will be connected to all places of the North-East during the current Five-Year Plan period, Ghatowar said.
The third bridge over river Brahmaputra will come up at Bogibeel connecting Dibrugarh and North Lakhimpur districts in upper Assam in the next two years for which Rs 600 crore has been allocated by the Centre, the minister said.
The ministry has also given special emphasis on a permanent solution to the problems of soil erosion and flood in the Brahmaputra Valley, where nearly 10 lakh people were seriously affected during the last waves of floods in Assam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India