Minor girl raped and murdered in Arunachal, 8 held
Itanagar: The rape and murder of a school girl in Tawang district, bordering China, on August 28 and arrest of eight students of her school have sparked a public outcry in Arunachal Pradesh, official sources said on Friday.
Tawang Deputy Commissioner Kemo Lollen said the 15-year-old girl, a student of Government High School, Tawang, and resident of Lhou village, went missing on August 28 and her parents lodged a complaint with police.
Later on the same night, police recovered the body of the girl without clothes and bearing head injury from Shyro village located near Tawang town.
Eight students, including a girl, of the same school have been arrested in connection with the incident, sources said.
Angry citizens gheraoed the office of the Deputy Commissioner and the Tawang police station yesterday demanding that the authorities hand over the arrested to them.
The mob allegedly pelted stones at the DC`s office and partially damaged an official vehicle, the sources said.
The citizens also vandalized a BRTF labour house suspecting their involvement in the murder, the sources said.
The locals would take out a candlelight march today to pray for the peace of the departed soul and to express solidarity with the bereaved family, sources added.
The situation in Tawang was under control, the DC said.
This is the first such incident in Tawang, known as the most peaceful district of the state.
The incident was another case of attack on women in the state after the murder of a girl at Yazali recently and attack on woman journalist Tongam Rina by an unidentified gunman in Itanagar on July 15.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Delhi government bans Chinese firecrackers for this Diwali