Minor girl raped and murdered in Arunachal, 8 held
Itanagar: The rape and murder of a school girl in Tawang district, bordering China, on August 28 and arrest of eight students of her school have sparked a public outcry in Arunachal Pradesh, official sources said today.
Tawang Deputy Commissioner Kemo Lollen said the 15-year-old girl, a student of Government High School, Tawang, and resident of Lhou village, went missing on August 28 and her parents lodged a complaint with police.
Later on the same night, police recovered the body of the girl without clothes and bearing head injury from Shyro village located near Tawang town.
Eight students, including a girl, of the same school have been arrested in connection with the incident, sources said.
Angry citizens gheraoed the office of the Deputy Commissioner and the Tawang police station yesterday demanding that the authorities hand over the arrested to them.
The mob allegedly pelted stones at the DC`s office and partially damaged an official vehicle, the sources said.
The citizens also vandalized a BRTF labour house suspecting their involvement in the murder, the sources said.
The locals would take out a candlelight march today to pray for the peace of the departed soul and to express solidarity with the bereaved family, sources added.
The situation in Tawang was under control, the DC said.
This is the first such incident in Tawang, known as the most peaceful district of the state.
The incident was another case of attack on women in the state after the murder of a girl at Yazali recently and attack on woman journalist Tongam Rina by an unidentified gunman in Itanagar on July 15.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video