`Minor tiff led to ethnic clashes along the Assam-Meghalaya border`
Shillong: The ethnic clashes along the Assam-Meghalaya border began from a small tiff between two groups of drunken youths belonging to Rabha and Garo communities while celebrating New Year at Manikganj in East Garo Hills district, an official report said.
A verbal confrontation took place between the groups after which the Rabhas allegedly assaulted two boys of the Garo community.
This acted as a catalyst and inflamed passions on communal lines, a status report on the violence prepared by the East Garo Hills administration said.
Giving an account of the incidents as they unfolded each day till January 9, the report pointed at rumours about the incidents on the Assam side which led to unrest in the Meghalaya side.
"The demand for Rabha Hasong Autonomous Council has few takers in the Garo community settled in Goalpara in Assam and as such there are tensions between the two communities and frequent outbreaks of violence," the report said.
"Further, the economic blockades and bandhs called by Rabha bodies are often violent making it difficult for the Garos there and in Meghalaya. During these bandhs, people in Meghalaya cannot move on the NH-37 which passes through Goalpara - if they have to travel to Guwahati or Shillong."
The report also pointed at several instances of armed clashes during the course of the nine-day violence, besides rumours of involvement of militants.
The administration of Meghalaya`s East Garo Hills district has decided not to lift night curfew till confidence-building measures are in place and absolute peace prevails.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling