Missing IPS officer`s case handed over to SIT
Itanagar: The Arunachal Pradesh government on Friday handed over the case of missing IPS officer M S Chauhan to a Special Investigation Team of the state police, official sources said.
Chauhan, who is the SP of the Special Investigation Cell of the state police, went missing mysteriously from Tippi on Tuesday when he was going to Tawang from Itanagar with inspector Mohan Kaye and constable Vikram Singh.
He had handed over one of his cell phones to his driver while leaving the vehicle at Tippi market and asked them to wait for him at a nearby river where he was supposed to join them for lunch.
IGP (Crime) Arvind Deep yesterday informed that the police had definite clues on Chauhan’s whereabouts and the case would be cracked soon.
Chauhan who was transferred to Delhi on October 8 and relieved from duty on October 10 surprisingly did not leave the state.
An IPS officer of 1998 batch of the Union Territory cadre, Chauhan is heading the SIC constituted by the Gauhati High Court in 2008 to probe the multi-crore PDS scam in the state.
He had charge-sheeted 56 persons including former chief minister Gegong Apang, five Congress MLAs, two ministers besides several IAS officer and contractors in the scam.
He was waiting for prosecution sanction of the Arunachal Pradesh government against another 36 accused in the Rs 1000 crore PDS scam. He was also instrumental in stalling the release of 56 crore to PDS contractors through an affidavit of the Arunachal Pradesh government in the Supreme Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister