Mizo govt demands ex-gratia for youth
Aizawl: Mizoram government on Monday demanded
that the Union Home Ministry give ex-gratia payment to the kin
of Johnny F Lalhmangaihzuala who was killed by Sudanese
nationals after a university football match on April 26, an
official statement said.
In a letter sent to Union Home Minister P Chidambaram,
Mizoram Home Minister R Lalzirliana demanded that notices be
given to the Punjab government, Lovely Professional
University, of which he was a student, and the Sudan embassy
in New Delhi to ensure that such ghastly incident did not
recur in future.
"The people of Mizoram, especially the youths are
shocked by the incidence of violence and we demand that the
perpetrators of the horrible crime be brought to book and be
given maximum punishment," Lalzirliana said.
Johnny, a 22 year-old B Tech (Civil) student was
thrashed after scoring a goal during a friendly football match
between the university and a visiting Sudanese team at
Jullandhar and succumbed to his injuries in hospital. Two
Sudanese and one Tanzanian were named accused and were
Different political parties and NGOs in the state have
urged the Centre to take appropriate action against those who
allegedly killed the Mizo boy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof