Mizo govt to talk to HPC-D militants
Aizawl: The Mizoram government and the
Manipur`s Hmar People`s Convention - Democrats (HPC-D) would
hold talks here tomorrow to find an amicable solution to the
Hmar problem in the state.
A five-member HPC-D delegation led by Ropuia, the
self-styled army chief of the militant group, arrived here
today for the talks, a senior state home department official
The Mizoram government would be represented by a team
of officials led by Home Secretary Lalmalsawma and included C.
Thanchhuma Aizawl DC, Saizela Deputy Inspector of Police, C.
Laldina SP (CID,SB) and Hriatpuia Under Secretary for Home.
Earlier, Lalmalsawma told PTI that the talks would be
unconditional and the demands put forward by the HPC-D would
be deliberated in the negotiations.
The HPC-D, a breakaway group of the HPC which signed
an agreement with the state government in 1994, has been
demanding a autonomy for the Hmar inhabited areas in the
The Hmar Students Association (HSA) welcomed the
initiative to hold talks and expressed the hope that an
amicable solution would be reached for the Hmar problems and
bring lasting peace to Hmar inhabited areas in the north
eastern parts of the state.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living