Mizo students threaten to boycott LS polls
Aizawl: Mizo Students Union (MSU) today threatened to boycott the coming Lok Sabha election if Bru refugees from the state were allowed to vote in their relief camps in neighbouring Tripura.
It was decided at a meeting of the MSU Executive Committee here yesterday, MSU leaders told a news agency.
The MSU had submitted a memorandum to Chief Election Commissioner VS Sampath on January 24 asking him not to allow Bru voters lodged in the relief camps in neighbouring Tripura exercise franchise in the elections in Mizoram.
The Mizo students organisation had raised the same demand before the state assembly election in November, but Bru refugees did cast their votes in their camps in Tripura.
The MSU leaders claimed that the Bru people were given undue favour by the Election Commission though they migrated to Tripura on their own will and refused to return to Mizoram despite repeated appeals by the Centre, Mizoram government and civil societies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Kashmir unrest: J&K delegation meets PM Modi; seeks immediate ban on pellet gun
- Cow vigilantism? Man heckled in Mumbai on suspicion of carrying bag made of cowhide
- Jigisha Ghosh murder case: Delhi court pronounces death for two convicts, life in jail for third
- Joint Admission Board forms panel to suggest ways to boost number of women in IITs
- Revealed! How Diana Penty prepped up for her character in 'Happy Bhag Jayegi' – Details inside