Mizo students threaten to boycott LS polls
Aizawl: Mizo Students Union (MSU) today threatened to boycott the coming Lok Sabha election if Bru refugees from the state were allowed to vote in their relief camps in neighbouring Tripura.
It was decided at a meeting of the MSU Executive Committee here yesterday, MSU leaders told a news agency.
The MSU had submitted a memorandum to Chief Election Commissioner VS Sampath on January 24 asking him not to allow Bru voters lodged in the relief camps in neighbouring Tripura exercise franchise in the elections in Mizoram.
The Mizo students organisation had raised the same demand before the state assembly election in November, but Bru refugees did cast their votes in their camps in Tripura.
The MSU leaders claimed that the Bru people were given undue favour by the Election Commission though they migrated to Tripura on their own will and refused to return to Mizoram despite repeated appeals by the Centre, Mizoram government and civil societies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Jallikattu protests continue in Tamil Nadu, sea of protesters camp on Marina beach