Mizo villages need to be relocated for border fencing
Aizawl: Forty five villages in Mizoram
were required to be relocated due to the fencing work on the
Of the villages, 29 in Lawngtlai district, seven in
Lunglei district and two in Mamit district needed to be
relocated, Home Minister R Lalzirliana told the assembly
Stating that as the border fencing work was being done
by the Centre, the state government had appealed to it to
relocate the villages.
"We are waiting for the Centre’s response on the
issue, he said, adding that Union Home Minister P
Chidambaram was also approached on the issue when he visited
He was replying to a query from opposition Mara
Democratic Front (MDF) member P P Thawlla.
Congress member Nirupam Chakma said that according to
the contractors one village belonging to Mizoram fell in
Chakma alleged that the Centre did not have any
intention to relocate the villages and water-logging caused by
the fencing had destroyed cultivation fields in the area.
Intervening in the discussion, Chief Minister Lal
Thanhawla said that the state government had approached the
Centre many times and the reply was always the same: "We have
not done any relocation in other states."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre