Mizoram affected by prolonged repairs of NH-54
Aizawl: Prices of essential commodities have soared in Mizoram due to a large number of trucks being stranded in the NH-54, lifeline of Mizoram from the rest of the world.
Prolonged repairs of the NH 54 at Kawnpui-Khamrang sector has left hundreds of trucks carrying essential commodities and other grocery items stranded causing immense hardship to the common man in this remote north-eastern state.
One kg of tomato costed Rs 100 in Aizawl Borabazar, while one kilo of cabbage also reached Rs 50 last week.
Kimi, a grocery shop owner said that her shop was almost empty as supply of items has stopped for days and she was forced to ration goods like milk, butter and other items to the customers.
Acute shortage of cooking gas, petrol and diesel also hit the capital city with only a few filling stations having oil supply.
Meanwhile, engineer-in-chief of the state Public Works department Lianchungnunga said the state PWD has nothing to do with the construction and repair works of the NH-54 as the tender, selection of contractor and funding was done by the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways.
He said that completion of the works was delayed due to many reasons including payment of compensation and levelling of some houses in Kawnpui town.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?