Mizoram CM, ministers to campaign for Pranab in Prez poll
Aizawl: Mizoram Chief Minister Lal Thanhawla and majority of his members of council of ministers on Thursday left Aizawl for Guwahati reportedly to campaign for UPA Presidential candidate Pranab Mukherjee, sources in the Mizoram Pradesh Congress Committee said.
Except for Home minister R Lalzirliana, Finance minister H Liansailova, Transport Minister PC Zoramsangliana, Health Minister Lalrinliana Sailo and Parliamentary secretary to the CMO Lal Thanzara,and those out of station, all the ministers and parliamentary secretaries accompanied Lal Thanhawla.
Mukherjee`s opponent, Purno A Sangma being a tribal from the north east and also a Christian by faith prompted the Congress bigwigs in the Christian-dominated tribal state to launch massive campaign for the UPA nominee, the sources said.
Meanwhile, opposition regional parties like the Mizo National Front and the Mizoram People`s Conference have announced that their legislators would vote for Sangma as he belonged to a scheduled tribe from the north east and a Christian.
The two parties also made appeal to all the MPs and the MLAs in the north east region to support Sangma`s candidature.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh arrives in Kashmir, meets civil society delegation
- Nawaz Sharif's dream of making Kashmir a terror hell will never come true, says Sushma Swaraj
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Mamata Banerjee pays homage to 'Mahanayak' Uttam Kumar
- Floods batter Assam, Arunachal; 3 die in Uttarakhand wall collapse
- Sushma Swaraj lashes out at Nawaz Sharif, says Pakistan will never succeed in making Kashmir a 'terror hell'
- Rajnath begins Kashmir visit, curfew lifted in parts of Valley
- Hungarian Grand Prix: Nico Rosberg trumps Lewis Hamilton in Hungaroring chaos