Mizoram CM, ministers to campaign for Pranab
Aizawl: Mizoram Chief Minister Lal Thanhawla and majority of his members of council of ministers Thursday left Aizawl for Guwahati reportedly to campaign for UPA Presidential candidate Pranab Mukherjee, sources in the Mizoram Pradesh Congress Committee said.
Except for Home minister R. Lalzirliana, Finance minister H Liansailova, Transport Minister P C Zoramsangliana, Health Minister Lalrinliana Sailo and Parliamentary secretary to the CMO Lal Thanzara,and those out of station, all the ministers and parliamentary secretaries accompanied Lal Thanhawla.
Mukherjee`s opponent, Purno A. Sangma being a tribal from the north east and also a Christian by faith prompted the Congress bigwigs in the Christian-dominated tribal state to launch massive campaign for the UPA nominee, the sources said.
Meanwhile, opposition regional parties like the Mizo National Front and the Mizoram People`s Conference have announced that their legislators would vote for Sangma as he belonged to a scheduled tribe from the north east and a Christian.
The two parties also made appeal to all the MPs and the MLAs in the north east region to support Sangma`s candidature.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack