Mizoram CM, ministers to campaign for Pranab
Aizawl: Mizoram Chief Minister Lal Thanhawla and majority of his members of council of ministers Thursday left Aizawl for Guwahati reportedly to campaign for UPA Presidential candidate Pranab Mukherjee, sources in the Mizoram Pradesh Congress Committee said.
Except for Home minister R. Lalzirliana, Finance minister H Liansailova, Transport Minister P C Zoramsangliana, Health Minister Lalrinliana Sailo and Parliamentary secretary to the CMO Lal Thanzara,and those out of station, all the ministers and parliamentary secretaries accompanied Lal Thanhawla.
Mukherjee`s opponent, Purno A. Sangma being a tribal from the north east and also a Christian by faith prompted the Congress bigwigs in the Christian-dominated tribal state to launch massive campaign for the UPA nominee, the sources said.
Meanwhile, opposition regional parties like the Mizo National Front and the Mizoram People`s Conference have announced that their legislators would vote for Sangma as he belonged to a scheduled tribe from the north east and a Christian.
The two parties also made appeal to all the MPs and the MLAs in the north east region to support Sangma`s candidature.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Colombia peace deal to be signed late September
- Nita Ambani launch multi-discipline sports initiative; laud PM Modi for Olympics task force idea
- ISRO successfully tests scramjet rocket engine
- Rafael Nadal hoping to continue Rio Olympics momentum at US Open
- Guess who? This A-list Bollywood actress can give up career to marry the man she loves