Mizoram CM, ministers to campaign for Pranab
Aizawl: Mizoram Chief Minister Lal Thanhawla and majority of his members of council of ministers Thursday left Aizawl for Guwahati reportedly to campaign for UPA Presidential candidate Pranab Mukherjee, sources in the Mizoram Pradesh Congress Committee said.
Except for Home minister R. Lalzirliana, Finance minister H Liansailova, Transport Minister P C Zoramsangliana, Health Minister Lalrinliana Sailo and Parliamentary secretary to the CMO Lal Thanzara,and those out of station, all the ministers and parliamentary secretaries accompanied Lal Thanhawla.
Mukherjee`s opponent, Purno A. Sangma being a tribal from the north east and also a Christian by faith prompted the Congress bigwigs in the Christian-dominated tribal state to launch massive campaign for the UPA nominee, the sources said.
Meanwhile, opposition regional parties like the Mizo National Front and the Mizoram People`s Conference have announced that their legislators would vote for Sangma as he belonged to a scheduled tribe from the north east and a Christian.
The two parties also made appeal to all the MPs and the MLAs in the north east region to support Sangma`s candidature.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Saudi prince Turki Bin Saud Al-Kabir executed for murder in rare case
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!
- China's state media calls LeT 'Pak-based military group', downplays boycott call of Chinese goods in Indian markets
- India can only 'bark', its products can't compete: Chinese state media