Mizoram CM, ministers to campaign for Pranab
Aizawl: Mizoram Chief Minister Lal Thanhawla and majority of his members of council of ministers Thursday left Aizawl for Guwahati reportedly to campaign for UPA Presidential candidate Pranab Mukherjee, sources in the Mizoram Pradesh Congress Committee said.
Except for Home minister R. Lalzirliana, Finance minister H Liansailova, Transport Minister P C Zoramsangliana, Health Minister Lalrinliana Sailo and Parliamentary secretary to the CMO Lal Thanzara,and those out of station, all the ministers and parliamentary secretaries accompanied Lal Thanhawla.
Mukherjee`s opponent, Purno A. Sangma being a tribal from the north east and also a Christian by faith prompted the Congress bigwigs in the Christian-dominated tribal state to launch massive campaign for the UPA nominee, the sources said.
Meanwhile, opposition regional parties like the Mizo National Front and the Mizoram People`s Conference have announced that their legislators would vote for Sangma as he belonged to a scheduled tribe from the north east and a Christian.
The two parties also made appeal to all the MPs and the MLAs in the north east region to support Sangma`s candidature.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- DNA: Today in History, 18th February, 2017
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal