Mizoram CM seeks Sonia`s help to tackle financial crisis
Aizawl: Mizoram Chief Minister Lal Thanhawla has sought UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi`s intervention to help the state tide over a financial crisis.
Thanhawla held an hour-long meeting with Sonia Gandhi at her residence in New Delhi Friday and apprised her about the state`s financial problems, an official of the chief minister`s secretariat told reporters on Saturday.
The state government had earlier submitted a proposal to central government seeking Rs.500 crore for payment of increased salaries to its employees after the implementation of sixth pay commission recommendations.
According to the official, Thanhawla also apprised the Congress chief about political developments in the mountainous state.
He also requested Sonia Gandhi to extend her support on the proposal to increase posts of Indian Administrative Service and Indian Police Service officers in Mizoram.
The Congress-ruled northeastern state, which shares 318 km with Bangladesh and 404 km with Myanmar, will go to the polls later this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened