Mizoram Everest conquerer to get Rs 5 lakh
Aizawl: Mizoram Chief Minister Lal Thanhawla on Wednesday announced that the state government would give Rs five lakh to David Zohmangaiha who was among the climbers from the north east to scale the Mount Everest, an official statement said.
Another person from Mizoram, Vanllaliana, who was in the team as a base camp manager from the state Sports and Youth Services department, would also be given Rs three lakh.
"Zohmangaiha and Vanllaiana would be given a grand welcome by the state government when they arrive in Mizoram," the chief minister was quoted as saying.
Zohmangaiha and other eight climbers from the region scaled the top of the world on Saturday while three climbers from the same team scaled the Everest on Friday.
The expedition, the first ever comprising exclusively of mountaineers from the North East, is being executed under the leadership of Manipur Mountaineering and Trekking Association (MMTA), under the leadership of its president Dr L Surjit, and funded by North Eastern Council with support from Planning Department of Manipur.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- US states sue White House over transgender bathroom use
- Congress plans nationwide media blitz against 2 years of NDA's 'misrule'; to release film, booklet
- PHOTO: After KKR's loss vs SRH, Shah Rukh Khan Tweets heart-wrenching image of cheerleaders crying
- Kardashians offered USD 100 million movie deal?
- Supreme Court to hear Italian government's plea on marine today