Mizoram Everest conquerer to get Rs 5 lakh
Aizawl: Mizoram Chief Minister Lal Thanhawla on Wednesday announced that the state government would give Rs five lakh to David Zohmangaiha who was among the climbers from the north east to scale the Mount Everest, an official statement said.
Another person from Mizoram, Vanllaliana, who was in the team as a base camp manager from the state Sports and Youth Services department, would also be given Rs three lakh.
"Zohmangaiha and Vanllaiana would be given a grand welcome by the state government when they arrive in Mizoram," the chief minister was quoted as saying.
Zohmangaiha and other eight climbers from the region scaled the top of the world on Saturday while three climbers from the same team scaled the Everest on Friday.
The expedition, the first ever comprising exclusively of mountaineers from the North East, is being executed under the leadership of Manipur Mountaineering and Trekking Association (MMTA), under the leadership of its president Dr L Surjit, and funded by North Eastern Council with support from Planning Department of Manipur.
- Will Sonia Gandhi answer RSS's claim of igniting riots in the country?
- DNA: Only 4% of Indian polpulation pays income tax
- Police arrest person accused of abducting woman in Bengaluru
- Scientists find three Earth-sized planets orbiting dwarf star
- Kerala: Dalit law student brutally raped, murdered in Ernakulam
- Funny video: Squirrel taunts house cat through glass door – Watch
- L&T Finance terminates over 500 employees citing poor performance
- Illegal mining scam: BJP Karnataka president Yeddyurappa becomes teary-eyed in CBI court
- Adorable! This cute baby goes to bed with his best mate dog – Watch video
- Supreme Court to consider NEET exemption applications on Tuesday