Mizoram forms ethnic committee to oversee performance
Aizawl: An ethnic committee comprising people from all walks of life has been formed to oversee the performance of the Mizoram government and its various administrative actions, Chief Minister Lal Thanhawla said.
The ethnic committee would play a key role to improve the efficiency of the government by giving advice on its functioning, he said at a meeting with Planning Commission Deputy Chairman Montek Singh Ahluwalia in New Delhi Friday evening.
"Apart from elected leaders, prominent citizens, Church leaders and media representatives are being included in the ethnic committee formed recently at the state level," an official told reporters here Saturday quoting the Chief Minister.
In Friday`s meeting, the annual plan of Mizoram for the 2011-12 fiscal was finalised at Rs 1,700 crore.
Ahluwalia told the Chief Minister that a joint meeting with the northeastern states would be held next month to gather their response on ongoing social sector programmes as well as roadmap for the next plan.
He said the plan panel was in the process of finalising the approach for the 12th plan (2012-2017) and would be shortly holding regional consultations with the state governments across the country.
Complimenting Mizoram on its plan performance, Ahluwalia said the hilly state has achieved significant progress in the sectors of road transport, power, education and health.
"While 94.4 percent of the Mizoram villages have been connected with approach roads and 61.19 percent villages have been linked with all weather roads, 81.31 percent of the villages have been electrified," the official said.
"According to Census 2001, the literacy level of 88.80 percent has made Mizoram the second most literate state in India next to Kerala," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- In two years Tripura-Assam border with Bangladesh to be totally sealed: Secretary BM
- PM Modi to launch Smart City projects in Pune today
- 'Mirzya': Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra thanks Salman Khan, sends best wishes for 'Sultan'
- Zardari urges US to support sale of F-16 jets to Pakistan
- Gulbarga ragging case: 3 arrested, 2 sent to 14-day judicial custody