Mizoram forms ethnic committee to oversee performance
Aizawl: An ethnic committee comprising people from all walks of life has been formed to oversee the performance of the Mizoram government and its various administrative actions, Chief Minister Lal Thanhawla said.
The ethnic committee would play a key role to improve the efficiency of the government by giving advice on its functioning, he said at a meeting with Planning Commission Deputy Chairman Montek Singh Ahluwalia in New Delhi Friday evening.
"Apart from elected leaders, prominent citizens, Church leaders and media representatives are being included in the ethnic committee formed recently at the state level," an official told reporters here Saturday quoting the Chief Minister.
In Friday`s meeting, the annual plan of Mizoram for the 2011-12 fiscal was finalised at Rs 1,700 crore.
Ahluwalia told the Chief Minister that a joint meeting with the northeastern states would be held next month to gather their response on ongoing social sector programmes as well as roadmap for the next plan.
He said the plan panel was in the process of finalising the approach for the 12th plan (2012-2017) and would be shortly holding regional consultations with the state governments across the country.
Complimenting Mizoram on its plan performance, Ahluwalia said the hilly state has achieved significant progress in the sectors of road transport, power, education and health.
"While 94.4 percent of the Mizoram villages have been connected with approach roads and 61.19 percent villages have been linked with all weather roads, 81.31 percent of the villages have been electrified," the official said.
"According to Census 2001, the literacy level of 88.80 percent has made Mizoram the second most literate state in India next to Kerala," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says