Mizoram govt forms panel to help arson-hit Bru families
Aizawl: Sixteen people were detained in
connection with the murder of a Mizo youth by suspected Bru
militants on Friday last, as the Mizoram government formed a
relief committee to help Bru families affected in acts of
arson, in the aftermath of the killing.
The Bru Students Association (BSA), Bru Cultural
Organisation (BCO) and Aizawl Bru Welfare Committee (ABWC) in
a statement condemned the burning of settlements, inhabited by
`poor` Bru families, and demanded that the state government
should give compensation to the people, rendered homeless
following the arson.
Mizoram Health minister Lalrinliana Sailo gave Rs one
lakh to the bereaved family of the slain youth as ex gratia
payment at Bungthuam - his native village.
Meanwhile, after two day`s of sporadic arson normalcy
was returning to the western parts of Mizoram, where no
untoward incident was reported for the past two nights, a
senior police official today told PTI over phone from Mamit
district, on Tripura border.
About 400 bamboo huts were torched by unidentified
people on Friday-Saturday nights and on Sunday and seven
persons were arrested in connection with the arson.
Official sources said a relief committee, chaired by
Director of the Disaster Management and Relief Department
Nghaklianmawia would accept donations from associations and
individuals to help Bru families affected by the recent
In another development, the four largest NGOs - the
Young Mizo Association (YMA), Mizo Hmeichhe Insuihkhawm Pawl
(MHIP) or Mizo women federation, Mizoram, Upa Pawl (MUP) or
Mizoram Elders association and the The Mizo Zirlai Pawl (MZP)
or Mizo Students` Feredation - today said that Bru refugees
must not be repatriated to Mizoram.
The NGOs also demanded that the Mizoram and Tripura
governments should ensure that thousands of Mizos driven out
from Sakhan range in Tripura in 1998 should be adequately
compensated and security be provided for those who remained
The Presbyterian Church and the church-sponsored
political watchdog the Mizoram People`s Forum (MPF) also
condemned the youth`s killing dubbing it as "a crime against
God and the Mizo people."
The Presbyterian Church and the MPF also appealed to
the people to protect the innocent people from harm.
The Right Reverend Stephen Rotluanga, Bishop of Aizawl
also called upon the people of Mizoram to give peace a chance
saying that violence is against the principle of Christianity
and also the teachings of Mahatma Gandhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’