Mizoram govt okays repatriation of Bru refugees
Aizawl: Mizoram government, in consultation
with major political parties and NGOs, has agreed to the
resumption of repatriation of Bru refugees lodged in the six
relief camps in North Tripura, a senior home department
The official, who attended the meeting of state home
department officials and representatives of political parties,
NGOs and student bodies, in the office of the home minister R
Lalzirliana yesterday said reptriation may resume by April.
"The meeting agreed to the resumption of Bru
repatriation after the Centre agreed to rehabilitate and
resettle the 83 displaced Mizo families, driven out from
Sakhan range in Tripura in 1998," he said.
The repatriation of Bru refugees was stalled during
last June as political parties and NGOs demanded
rehabilitation of displaced Mizo families as was done to the
Though no date was formally fixed for the resumption
of repatriation, the state government thought that it should
be conducted before the onset of monsoon, the official added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday