Mizoram Guv to pursue enactment of divorce law
Aizawl: Mizoram governor Lt General MM Lakhera Friday informed leaders of churches and NGOs that he would pursue the matter of enacting the Mizo Divorce law.
The Mizoram Divorce Ordinance promulgated by the
governor and lauded by women organisations in 2008 was never
legislated by the Congress government which came to power in
the later part of the year.
The government had said that it would draft a better
bill to safeguard the interests of women in case of divorce.
The governor also appealed to the people of Mizoram to
be tolerant and hospitable towards immigrants from Myanmar and
Bangladesh, but not to the extent of creating problems for the
Lakhera also said that the border disputes between
Mizoram and Assam should be amicably settled.
He lauded the efforts made by the Young Mizo
Association and the Mizo Hmeichhe Insuihkhawm Pawl (MHIP) or
women`s federation to combat the drug menace in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city