Mizoram Guv to pursue enactment of divorce law
Aizawl: Mizoram governor Lt General MM Lakhera Friday informed leaders of churches and NGOs that he would pursue the matter of enacting the Mizo Divorce law.
The Mizoram Divorce Ordinance promulgated by the
governor and lauded by women organisations in 2008 was never
legislated by the Congress government which came to power in
the later part of the year.
The government had said that it would draft a better
bill to safeguard the interests of women in case of divorce.
The governor also appealed to the people of Mizoram to
be tolerant and hospitable towards immigrants from Myanmar and
Bangladesh, but not to the extent of creating problems for the
Lakhera also said that the border disputes between
Mizoram and Assam should be amicably settled.
He lauded the efforts made by the Young Mizo
Association and the Mizo Hmeichhe Insuihkhawm Pawl (MHIP) or
women`s federation to combat the drug menace in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Ten Army soldiers missing in Siachen avalanche presumed dead; PM Modi 'salutes' martyrs
- VIDEO: Ambidextrous Sri Lankan Kamindu Mendis bowling with both hands
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic