Mizoram observes 26th Statehood anniversary
Aizawl: Though no official functions were organised, Mizoram on Wednesday observed the state day, the 26th anniversary of the attainment of statehood.
On this day in 1987 the then Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, accompanied by his wife Sonia Gandhi, inaugurated the Mizoram state day at a grand function in the Assam Rifles ground in Aizawl in the presence of the then late Chief Minister Laldenga.
Mizoram was upgraded from union territory status to a full-fledged state following an accord signed between the Centre and the erstwhile underground Mizo National Front (MNF) led by Laldenga on June 30, 1986 after 20-year-long insurgency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena was Indrani’s daughter from her previous marriage, not sister
- How justified is the violence in Gujarat over quota row?-Part 2
- Gujarat quota stir: Exclusive interview with Hardik Patel
- DNA: Sheena Bora's murder case- Know how the mystery unfolded!
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: Eight questions which need to be answered
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport