Mizoram observes 26th Statehood anniversary
Aizawl: Though no official functions were organised, Mizoram on Wednesday observed the state day, the 26th anniversary of the attainment of statehood.
On this day in 1987 the then Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, accompanied by his wife Sonia Gandhi, inaugurated the Mizoram state day at a grand function in the Assam Rifles ground in Aizawl in the presence of the then late Chief Minister Laldenga.
Mizoram was upgraded from union territory status to a full-fledged state following an accord signed between the Centre and the erstwhile underground Mizo National Front (MNF) led by Laldenga on June 30, 1986 after 20-year-long insurgency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you