Mizoram observes 26th Statehood anniversary
Aizawl: Though no official functions were organised, Mizoram on Wednesday observed the state day, the 26th anniversary of the attainment of statehood.
On this day in 1987 the then Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, accompanied by his wife Sonia Gandhi, inaugurated the Mizoram state day at a grand function in the Assam Rifles ground in Aizawl in the presence of the then late Chief Minister Laldenga.
Mizoram was upgraded from union territory status to a full-fledged state following an accord signed between the Centre and the erstwhile underground Mizo National Front (MNF) led by Laldenga on June 30, 1986 after 20-year-long insurgency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried at Chandanwadi's Bada Kabristan in Mumbai
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened