Mizoram observes 26th Statehood anniversary
Aizawl: Though no official functions were organised, Mizoram on Wednesday observed the state day, the 26th anniversary of the attainment of statehood.
On this day in 1987 the then Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, accompanied by his wife Sonia Gandhi, inaugurated the Mizoram state day at a grand function in the Assam Rifles ground in Aizawl in the presence of the then late Chief Minister Laldenga.
Mizoram was upgraded from union territory status to a full-fledged state following an accord signed between the Centre and the erstwhile underground Mizo National Front (MNF) led by Laldenga on June 30, 1986 after 20-year-long insurgency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Suresh Raina denies Lalit Modi's match-fixing allegation, mulls legal action against former IPL boss