Mizoram observes 26th Statehood anniversary
Aizawl: Though no official functions were organised, Mizoram on Wednesday observed the state day, the 26th anniversary of the attainment of statehood.
On this day in 1987 the then Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, accompanied by his wife Sonia Gandhi, inaugurated the Mizoram state day at a grand function in the Assam Rifles ground in Aizawl in the presence of the then late Chief Minister Laldenga.
Mizoram was upgraded from union territory status to a full-fledged state following an accord signed between the Centre and the erstwhile underground Mizo National Front (MNF) led by Laldenga on June 30, 1986 after 20-year-long insurgency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How will Sonowal's govt solve problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam?
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam - Part II
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part III
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part IV
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- BJP workers protest against erratic water, power supply in Delhi
- 'China wants to extend its Nepal rail link to India'
- Senate panel conditions $300 mn aid to Pakistan for action on Haqqani
- IPL 2016: Kolkata Knight Riders take on Sunrisers Hyderabad in Eliminator - Preview
- Asaduddin Owaisi vs common man: High-voltage verbal spat over Akbaruddin Owaisi's comments against Hindus