Mizoram parts to be declared as disturbed areas?
Aizawl: Mizoram Home minister R Lalzirliana on friday warned that the north eastern parts of the state adjoining Manipur might be declared as `disturbed area` if the Manipur-based Hmar People`s Convention - Democrats militants continue to intimidate the people of the area and stalling the democratic processes.
Lalzirliana told media persons that the HPC-D militants intimidated the political parties and the people of the area under Sinlung Hills Development Council (SHDC) instructing the political parties not to field candidates in the elections to the village councils, scheduled to be held on October 18 in 15 villages.
"If the militants continue their unlawful and violent activities, the area may have to be placed under the control of not only the state police but also the central para-military forces," he said.
Meanwhile, no nominations were filed till 3 pm yesterday, the last day of filing nominations for elections of members of village councils in 15 villages, prompting the state election commission to extend the last date of filing of nominations till October nine.
Elections to the 15 village councils within the SHDC was not held along with the rest of the village council polls on February 23 due to intimidation by the HPC-D militants and the state election recently made schedule for elections of these village councils on October 18.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical