Mizoram polls: Ex-Speaker is the richest candidate to have filed nomination
Aizawl: Former Speaker of state Assembly R Lalawia of Zoram Nationalist Party is the richest among the 141 candidates who have filed nomination for the Mizoram polls on November 25.
Lalawia is a contractor by profession and has assets worth over Rs 69 crore, his affidavit said.
He has filed his nomination from the Serlui seat in Kolasib district bordering Assam.
Meanwhile, Biakmawia of the BJP contesting from Aizawl North -III is the poorest, with assets worth a little more than Rs 10,000.
Among political party chiefs, Chief Minister and state PCC chief Lal Thanhawla is the wealthiest with assets over Rs 9.15 crore followed by former chief minister Zoramthanga of the Mizo National Front with assets valued at Rs 2.16 crore, the affidavits said.
According to the affidavit filed by the candidates, Lal Thanhawla has Rs 89,86,247.50 in bank deposits and his wife Lal Riliani has property worth Rs 85,59,733.69.
Lal Thanhawla has landed property worth Rs 7 crore and the valuation of his wife`s landed property is Rs 40 lakh, the affidavits said.
Mizoram People`s Conference chief Lalhmangaiha Sailo, a retired Indian Revenue Service officer, was worth more than Rs 2.1 crore while Zoram Nationalist Party chief and former Lok Sabha member Lalduhawma was the poorest among political party chiefs with assets valued at Rs 1.7 crore, the affidavits said.
Tomorrow is the last date for withdrawal of candidates for election to the 40-member state Assembly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'