Mizoram polls: Ex-Speaker is the richest candidate to have filed nomination
Aizawl: Former Speaker of state Assembly R Lalawia of Zoram Nationalist Party is the richest among the 141 candidates who have filed nomination for the Mizoram polls on November 25.
Lalawia is a contractor by profession and has assets worth over Rs 69 crore, his affidavit said.
He has filed his nomination from the Serlui seat in Kolasib district bordering Assam.
Meanwhile, Biakmawia of the BJP contesting from Aizawl North -III is the poorest, with assets worth a little more than Rs 10,000.
Among political party chiefs, Chief Minister and state PCC chief Lal Thanhawla is the wealthiest with assets over Rs 9.15 crore followed by former chief minister Zoramthanga of the Mizo National Front with assets valued at Rs 2.16 crore, the affidavits said.
According to the affidavit filed by the candidates, Lal Thanhawla has Rs 89,86,247.50 in bank deposits and his wife Lal Riliani has property worth Rs 85,59,733.69.
Lal Thanhawla has landed property worth Rs 7 crore and the valuation of his wife`s landed property is Rs 40 lakh, the affidavits said.
Mizoram People`s Conference chief Lalhmangaiha Sailo, a retired Indian Revenue Service officer, was worth more than Rs 2.1 crore while Zoram Nationalist Party chief and former Lok Sabha member Lalduhawma was the poorest among political party chiefs with assets valued at Rs 1.7 crore, the affidavits said.
Tomorrow is the last date for withdrawal of candidates for election to the 40-member state Assembly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened