Mizoram: Polls to 15 villages to be deferred?
Aizawl: Mizoram State Election Commission is likely to defer the village council elections in 15 villages for the second time as no nominations were filed till 3 pm on Thursday, the last day for filing of nominations reportedly due to intimidation from Hmar insurgents.
Police said that political leaders of the 15 villages - 13 in Aizawl district and two villages in Kolasib district - were told not to file nominations for the village council polls scheduled to be held on October 18.
The village council polls in the villages were not held along with the rest of the village councils on February 23, 2012 as the state election commission then felt that there would not be free and fair elections due to intimidation by the Hmar People`s Convention - Democrats militants.
The HPC-D militants then threatened the voters that they should elect only those supported by the outfit.
Though the state election commission recently notified the date for election to these 15 villages, no one filed nominations forcing the commission, most likely, to defer the polls again.
The HPC-D militants were at loggerheads with the state government and the top leaders of the outfit - its chairman H.
Zosangbera, `army chief` Lalropuia and `deputy army chief` Biaknunga were arrested by the state police and are remained in prison till date.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof