Mizoram ready to receive Bru refugees: Home Min
Aizawl: Mizoram Home Minister R Lalzirliana on Saturday said that preparations to receive the next batch of Bru refugees were being made in case some of the refugees might agree to return to Mizoram from Tripura relief camps.
Lalzirliana told a news agency that the state government was making preparations to receive the refugees on May 4 as per schedule, even as only one family, out of 141 families expected to be repatriated from Hamsapara relief camp on April 26, returned on that day to Mizoram.
"We want all the bona fide residents of Mizoram to return," he said, adding that the government and the people of Mizoram welcome them.
He, however, expressed opinion that influenced by some anti-repatriation leaders, the refugees were not willing to return to Mizoram and created problems by making lame excuses.
Mizoram-Tripura border Mamit district deputy commissioner Rodney L Ralte said preparations were made to receive 149 Bru families from Kaskau camp on May 4 and the district administration would consult the state government if the refugees are found to be unwilling to return.
Earlier on Thursday, only a six-member single family returned to Mizoram under Police escort, on the first day of the fourth phase of repatriation and the Bru refugee leaders made several demands including formation of separate autonomous district council for the Bru community in Mizoram.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Trinamool Congress activist was part of Pak ISI spy ring?
- Bigg Boss: When Kriti Sanon played Aishwarya Rai’s part to romance Salman Khan
- Media house attacked over derogatory cartoon in Maharashtra