Mizoram: Shops, business establishments closed in 12-hour protest
Aizawl: Shops and business houses downed shutters in Aizawl on Thursday due to a 12-hour protest called by Mizoram Merchant Association opposing Licensing Regulations, 2012 of Aizawl Municpal Corporation.
Even street hawkers including meat and vegetable sellers were nowhere to be seen in the town.
The traders are opposing the Licensing Regulations apprehending it would allow non-tribals to engage in business resulting in economic assimilation of the Mizos.
The association has the support of the influential social organisation Coordination Committee.
The Aizawl Municipal Council authorities, however, said insisting on tribal certificate from the applicants, as was being demanded, would be unconstitutional.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan