Mizoram to get 210 MW power plant
Aizawl: The commissioning of the 210 MW capacity Tuivai hydro-electric project in Mizoram, a much-anticipated event, would begin soon as the union finance ministry has approved funds for it, an official said here on Wednesday.
"The union finance ministry last month gave its endorsement to provide necessary funding for the 210 MW capacity Tuivai hydro-electric power plant," an official of the Mizoram power and electricity department said.
"The biggest ever power project in Mizoram would be set up at a cost of Rs 1,750.60 crore on the banks of Tuivai river in Champhai district in the eastern part of the state," he said.
The project would be executed on the public-private partnership (PPP) mode.
Seven private companies have been shortlisted, after applications for requests for proposals were invited in September 2011.
According to an official document of the Mizoram government, the Tuivai project, conceptualised in 1995, will have a 155-metre dam across the Tuivai river to generate power.
The official said that this power project, to be commissioned within the next five years, would be the first of any projects in Mizoram requiring no compensation for takeover of land.
He said the necessary environment clearance for the project had also been obtained from the union ministry of environment and forests.
The Mizoram government is also setting up another 60 MW-capacity Tuirial hydro-electric project at Bilkhawtlir village in Kolosib district, at a cost of Rs 900 crore.
Bordering Myanmar and Bangladesh, Mizoram requires 120MW of power during summer, against a supply of 80 MW by the thermal and mini hydel projects of the North Eastern Electric Power Corporation and National Thermal Power Corporation in the northeast region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray