Mizoram to get 210 MW power plant
Aizawl: The commissioning of the 210 MW capacity Tuivai hydro-electric project in Mizoram, a much-anticipated event, would begin soon as the union finance ministry has approved funds for it, an official said here on Wednesday.
"The union finance ministry last month gave its endorsement to provide necessary funding for the 210 MW capacity Tuivai hydro-electric power plant," an official of the Mizoram power and electricity department said.
"The biggest ever power project in Mizoram would be set up at a cost of Rs 1,750.60 crore on the banks of Tuivai river in Champhai district in the eastern part of the state," he said.
The project would be executed on the public-private partnership (PPP) mode.
Seven private companies have been shortlisted, after applications for requests for proposals were invited in September 2011.
According to an official document of the Mizoram government, the Tuivai project, conceptualised in 1995, will have a 155-metre dam across the Tuivai river to generate power.
The official said that this power project, to be commissioned within the next five years, would be the first of any projects in Mizoram requiring no compensation for takeover of land.
He said the necessary environment clearance for the project had also been obtained from the union ministry of environment and forests.
The Mizoram government is also setting up another 60 MW-capacity Tuirial hydro-electric project at Bilkhawtlir village in Kolosib district, at a cost of Rs 900 crore.
Bordering Myanmar and Bangladesh, Mizoram requires 120MW of power during summer, against a supply of 80 MW by the thermal and mini hydel projects of the North Eastern Electric Power Corporation and National Thermal Power Corporation in the northeast region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm