Mizoram to take back Bru refugees before election
Aizawl: Mizoram government will soon initiate repatriation of Brus lodged in six relief camps in neighbouring Tripura if the Election Committee gives a green signal for it.
The state government and the civil society wants that all the remaining Brus in relief camps should return before Lok Sabha elections to be held in the state on April 9, Mizoram Joint Secretary for Home Lalbiakzama today said.
A meeting of the District Level Core Committee on Bru Repatriation and Rehabilitation deliberated on the preparations for repatriation process at border town Mamit yesterday, he said.
"The district core committee has identified 96 Bru families lodged in three relief camps - Kaskau, Khakchangpara and Hamsapara -- while the rest of the families would be verified and identified from the other relief camps," he said.
The meeting, chaired by Mamit district Deputy Commissioner R S Lalzamliana, decided that the verification should be resumed and the final report submitted to the District Level Core Committee by March 21.
"We will seek clearance and permission from the Election Commission for carrying out the repatriation and would make preparations in the meantime," Lalbiakzama said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?