MNF to support Sangma in Presidential poll
Aizawl: Main opposition party in Mizoram, Mizo National Front (MNF) is likely to support the candidature of Purno A Sangma as President of India when the polling will be held on July 19.
Former chief minister and MNF chief Zoramthanga said on Sunday that formal announcement would be made during this week after the meeting of the party high command on the issue.
"I think we will support Sangma as he is a tribal from North-East and also a Christian as the country is yet to have a tribal and a Christian in the top post," Zoramthanga said.
MNF has one Member of Parliament (Rajya Sabha) and four legislators including a member of its junior partner - Mara Democratic Front (MDF).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'