MNF to support Sangma in Presidential poll
Aizawl: Main opposition party in Mizoram, Mizo National Front (MNF) is likely to support the candidature of Purno A Sangma as President of India when the polling will be held on July 19.
Former chief minister and MNF chief Zoramthanga said on Sunday that formal announcement would be made during this week after the meeting of the party high command on the issue.
"I think we will support Sangma as he is a tribal from North-East and also a Christian as the country is yet to have a tribal and a Christian in the top post," Zoramthanga said.
MNF has one Member of Parliament (Rajya Sabha) and four legislators including a member of its junior partner - Mara Democratic Front (MDF).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital
- Iranian Navy in `unsafe` intercept of US destroyer: Defense official