Moderate earthquakes hits Assam, NE states
Guwahati/Tezpur: A series of earthquakes of moderate intensity measuring 5.1 on the Richter scale jolted Assam and other parts of the North East region on Wednesday, the MeT office has said.
Three quakes shook Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Nagaland and Meghalaya between 12.07 am and 12.10 am, waking up people and making them rush outdoors in panic for safety.
Another earthquake hit the region at 7.39 am.
The epicentre of the tremors was at Rangapara in Central Assam`s Sonitpur district on Latitude 26.9 degree north and Longitude 92.8 degree east at a depth of 35 km, the MeT office said.
No casualty, injury or loss of property has been reported so far, but there are unofficial reports about minor cracks developing in several buildings in Sonitpur due to the tremor.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 19 killed in knife rampage at Japan care home; suspect surrenders
- Government auditor suspects companies rigged 1st e-auction of coal blocks in 2015
- FBI probes Democratic email hack, but is Russia to blame?
- Florida shooting: Three taken into custody, more suspects sought
- Dope test scandal: After wrestler Narsingh Yadav, shot putter Inderjeet Singh tests positive for banned substance