Moderate earthquakes hits Assam, NE states
Guwahati/Tezpur: A series of earthquakes of moderate intensity measuring 5.1 on the Richter scale jolted Assam and other parts of the North East region on Wednesday, the MeT office has said.
Three quakes shook Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Nagaland and Meghalaya between 12.07 am and 12.10 am, waking up people and making them rush outdoors in panic for safety.
Another earthquake hit the region at 7.39 am.
The epicentre of the tremors was at Rangapara in Central Assam`s Sonitpur district on Latitude 26.9 degree north and Longitude 92.8 degree east at a depth of 35 km, the MeT office said.
No casualty, injury or loss of property has been reported so far, but there are unofficial reports about minor cracks developing in several buildings in Sonitpur due to the tremor.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets 2000 km strategic road for development
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Traditional Indian diet dramatically cuts Alzheimer's risk
- Carnage in Florida: KL Rahul, Evin Lewis tons laid foundation for West Indies-India T20I run mountain
- Over 34,500 criminals sentenced in 1 year in UP: DGP(Prosecution)
- Venezuela sends opposition leader back to jail, expels Ecuadoran lawmakers
- Burhan Wani's father meets Sri Sri Ravi Shankar