Moderate tremor hits Sikkim on quake anniversary
Gangtok: Exactly a year after a powerful earthquake killed 90 people and ravaged large parts of Sikkim, a moderate tremor measuring 4.1 jolted the state this evening, sending people out of their homes, but there was no immediate report of casualty or damage to properties.
As the quake struck at around 1755 hours and lasted for about three seconds, people, with the devastations caused by last year`s quake still fresh in memory, scampered out of their homes onto the roads and were reluctant to return fearing aftershocks.
Following the quake, power supply was switched off by the authorities for about 20 minutes before it was restored but telecom and internet links were disrupted.
Today`s tremor came on a day when people across Sikkim performed `puja` not only to remember those who perished in last year`s quake but also praying against a repeat of the same disaster.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble