Moderate tremor hits Sikkim on quake anniversary
Gangtok: Exactly a year after a powerful earthquake killed 90 people and ravaged large parts of Sikkim, a moderate tremor measuring 4.1 jolted the state this evening, sending people out of their homes, but there was no immediate report of casualty or damage to properties.
As the quake struck at around 1755 hours and lasted for about three seconds, people, with the devastations caused by last year`s quake still fresh in memory, scampered out of their homes onto the roads and were reluctant to return fearing aftershocks.
Following the quake, power supply was switched off by the authorities for about 20 minutes before it was restored but telecom and internet links were disrupted.
Today`s tremor came on a day when people across Sikkim performed `puja` not only to remember those who perished in last year`s quake but also praying against a repeat of the same disaster.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part III
- Five killed as house collapses in Andhra Pradesh
- Here’s why Lord Shiva is also known as Neelkantha
- Ravichandran Ashwin replaces Yashir Shah at the top of ICC bowler rankings
- Hubble peers into the core of a starburst galaxy – See pic!
- JuD medical team wants to visit Kashmir to treat injured, applies for Indian visa