Moderate tremor hits Sikkim on quake anniversary
Gangtok: Exactly a year after a powerful earthquake killed 90 people and ravaged large parts of Sikkim, a moderate tremor measuring 4.1 jolted the state this evening, sending people out of their homes, but there was no immediate report of casualty or damage to properties.
As the quake struck at around 1755 hours and lasted for about three seconds, people, with the devastations caused by last year`s quake still fresh in memory, scampered out of their homes onto the roads and were reluctant to return fearing aftershocks.
Following the quake, power supply was switched off by the authorities for about 20 minutes before it was restored but telecom and internet links were disrupted.
Today`s tremor came on a day when people across Sikkim performed `puja` not only to remember those who perished in last year`s quake but also praying against a repeat of the same disaster.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah