Moderate tremor in the NE
Shillong/Kohima: An earthquake of moderate intensity shook the north eastern states in the early hours on Sunday but there were no casualties or damage to property.
The regional seismological centre in Shillong told PTI that the quake measured 5.5 on the Richter scale and took place around 1.25 am.
The quake was also felt in Itanagar, Guwahati and Agartala, besides Nagaland, the sources said.
The tremor epicentre was latitude 25.5 degrees north and longitude 94.2 degrees east in Kohima area of Nagaland.
It originated 35 km below the surface, India Meteorological Department sources said in Kohima.
Today`s quake follows the one on July 1 which measured 5.4 on the Richter scale and its epicentre was located in Phek region of Nagaland.
Official sources said there was no report of any casualty or damage to property either in Meghalaya or Nagaland.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!