Moderate tremor in the NE
Shillong/Kohima: An earthquake of moderate intensity shook the north eastern states in the early hours on Sunday but there were no casualties or damage to property.
The regional seismological centre in Shillong told PTI that the quake measured 5.5 on the Richter scale and took place around 1.25 am.
The quake was also felt in Itanagar, Guwahati and Agartala, besides Nagaland, the sources said.
The tremor epicentre was latitude 25.5 degrees north and longitude 94.2 degrees east in Kohima area of Nagaland.
It originated 35 km below the surface, India Meteorological Department sources said in Kohima.
Today`s quake follows the one on July 1 which measured 5.4 on the Richter scale and its epicentre was located in Phek region of Nagaland.
Official sources said there was no report of any casualty or damage to property either in Meghalaya or Nagaland.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- IT'S DISTURBING: Watch little Syrian girl singing before a bomb explodes
- Planning parenthood through surrogacy? Things you need to know
- When Muslim men chanted `Hindustan Zindabad`, `Pakistan Murdabad` slogans on Hyderabad roads – Watch
- US warns EU ahead of Apple tax evasion ruling
- Facebook, Twitter, Google failed to tackle terrorism: Panel