‘Money constraint not hindering NE projects’
Kolkata: It is not monetary constraints which are hindering development projects in northeastern states, rather it is lack of time and cost overruns, Union Minister of Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER) Paban Singh Ghatowar has said.
"The Indian government ordered that every ministry, except Ministry of Ocean Development and Ministry of Science and Technology, must spend or invest 10 percent of the budget in northeastern states.
"Moreover, the Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region has its own budget. With these huge monetary funds, we should solve most of the problems if we implement it well," Ghatowar said at an interactive session organised by the Indian Chamber of Commerce (ICC) here on Friday.
"As many as 26 national projects are coming up in this region, but there has been delay in completion of those projects, resulting in cost and time overruns," he noted.
The ministry is hopeful of completing the Gas Cracker Project by July 2013 as the project is expected to provide one lakh jobs.
On the connectivity problems in northeastern states, Ghatowar said: "Along with the waterways and roads, air route has to be exploited. I think we should have air hub in Guwahati for not only air connectivity between northeastern states and rest of the country, but also for better connectivity among the six states."
"We have so many air fields as compared to Haryana and Punjab, but they are not being used now. We have to use these," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan